Paralegal: Karla Lemons
Legal Assistant: Lara Carlton
A senior partner at Small | Herrin, Gus has represented Debtors, Creditors and Equity Security Holders in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases and has been legal counsel to a number of creditors' committees. He has also served as a Trustee in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases.
Besides serving as legal counsel in bankruptcy cases, Gus specializes in commercial litigation, including jury trials in federal and state court. He has appeared as counsel in state and federal court in matters involving lender liability, voidable transfers, secured and unsecured creditors' rights, contract disputes, insurance defense cases involving real estate issues, construction lien law and receivership cases. He has also represented clients in numerous mediations and arbitrations and has served as a mediator and special master.
Gus is admitted to practice before the State Bar of Georgia, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Georgia, all federal courts in Georgia, the United States Courts of Appeal for the 4th, 5th and 11th Circuits and the United States Supreme Court. He is a frequent lecturer on Bankruptcy and Commercial Law.
Mercer University, Walter F. George School of law
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1969
Honors Awards & Community
- Atlanta Bar Association’s section on Bankruptcy, Co-Founder and past Chair
- Board of the Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute, Emeritus Director and Past President and Chair
- The State Bar of Georgia Bankruptcy Section, Past Chairman
- Adjunct professor of bankruptcy law at Mercer University School of Law
- Named one of “The Best Lawyers in America” for over fifteen years
- Named a Georgia Super Lawyer by Law & Politics
- Recipient of the David Pollard Award for Professionalism and Ethics from Atlanta Bar Association Bankruptcy Section
- United States Army (1969-1971), First Lieutenant, 937th Combat Engineer Group in Phu Tai, South Vietnam (1970-1971)
- State Bar of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Superior and State Courts and all lower courts
- Federal Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia
- United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia