Paralegal: Karla Lemons
Legal Assistant: Lara Carlton
Brent Herrin is the managing partner of Small | Herrin, LLP. With an advanced tax law degree and experience working as an attorney for the Judiciary Committee of the United States Senate, Brent uses his education and practical experience to be a tenacious advocate for his clients and advises and counsels them to find solutions to their various legal issues.
“I view myself as a problem solver and value providing practical and efficient solutions helping my clients manage risks to achieve their business goals and solve their legal problems.”
Brent divides his practice into three distinct areas: Family Wealth Planning and Tax, Litigation, and Higher Education and Accreditation.
In the Family Wealth Planning and Tax areas, he helps clients create estate plans to achieve the client’s goals for asset disposition and helps clients in creating strategies and plans to reduce their taxes.
In his Litigation practice, he helps clients in legal disputes ranging from trust and estate disputes to breach of contract cases to business break-up disputes.
As a part of his Higher Education and Accreditation practice, he advises and counsels higher education institutions regarding all aspects of accreditation including appeals of adverse actions. While such appeals are rarely successful, Brent has successfully appealed the removal of membership of a college by its regional accreditor.
The University of Alabama
School of Law
Master of Laws in Taxation, 2005
Cumberland School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2001
The University of Georgia
B.B.A., Banking and Finance, 1998
Honors, Awards, & Community
- Queen of Angels Catholic School Advisory Council
- Council Chair (2016-Present)
- Chair of Strategic Planning Committee (2017-present)
- Member of Finance Committee (2017-Present)
- Chair of Facilities Committee (2014-2107)
- St. Thomas More Society of Atlanta, Inc.
- Member of Board of Directors (2012-Present)
- President (2018 to Present); Vice President (2016-2017); Treasurer (2015-2016)
- Chair of Red Mass Committee (2012 to 2014)
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Membership Committee (2017-present)
- Georgia State University
- Adjunct Instructor teaching courses in business law in the J. Mack Robinson College of Business
- State Bar of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Superior and State Courts and all lower courts
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama Supreme Court and all lower courts
- Federal Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia
- United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama
- United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama